Working from home can have many benefits, but there are also challenges, such as staying productive, focused, and energized like when you are in the office. At home, there are other obstacles like children playing in the background dogs barking, and doorbells. We are also more relaxed when working from home and more tempted by Netflix.
So, how do you keep your business flow up from home when the environment around you puts you in a different mindset? How do you keep your employees focused and productive when working from home?
The key to continuing to be more productive at home is still having a structure and maintaining connections with your colleagues, customers, and employees. Here are some items that you can do to help continue with productivity from home.
Keep in constant contact with your employees and customers easily through conference call app. These tools let you connect and communicate clearly with your team regularly to discuss projects and strategies. You can use video conferencing apps to keep scheduled meetings.
When you are working from home, you need to comment on keeping an in-office schedule and routine to help stay motivated. Get up at the same time and dress in office-appropriate clothing. Keeping up with an in-office routine enables you to keep your office mindset, productivity, and motivation.
If you are working from home, you need to designate a quiet place as your office. Put a ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign on the door and set rules with your partner, spouse, and children to remind them that you are working, and when the door is closed, do not interrupt.
Encourage your employees to do things that help with their productivity, such as online learning, reading relevant material, watching online training videos, and reviewing training documents. When your team members are working remotely, the key to keeping your business flow up is productivity. This might mean needing to schedule more meetings with your employees to ensure they are staying on the right track. During your sessions, ask the following questions:
- What is one project or initiative that you can make progress on when you are working from a home office?
- What are your concerns about working from home?
- Interaction with colleagues
- Managing time
- At home distractions
- Remaining connected to customers
- Connection with manager
Working from home can be like working from the office, and you might find it more beneficial in boosting your productivity, efficiency, and competitive edge. Here are some methods to promote your business.
- Know Your Expenses – be aware of your costs for any item you are selling, especially if you are considering discounting them on sites like Groupon to help you attract new customers. You want to make sure that you aren’t losing out and are still generating a positive cash flow and covering your costs for products.
- Bundle Products & Services – bundle your products and services to create more value at little cost. Bundling products and services attracts potential customers to your offer, and it is not a lot of out of pocket expense for your business because you can increase your price point at the beginning if you are offering a guarantee.
- Encourage Repeat Business – if your business is retail, repeat customers become your bread and butter. You can continue to devote efforts from home towards getting customers back to your store. Develop loyalty programs or VIP offers, which can lead to repeat business.
Working from a home office does not mean that your business or employees will lose momentum and productivity. It is an opportunity to have your team think outside the box about how to maintain workflow from home. The critical item to staying productive when working from home is having continued communication with employees and customers.